BeatSession11|29|10

I’m at a loss for words — this sample is just AMAZING. I recently stumbled upon this japanese jazz song (shout out to 25/8 for finding the mp3 of the sample). I’ve been reading up on japanese jazz and its small but thriving jazz scene. I was surprised to find out that the jazz scene first spawned there during the early 1920s when filipino jazz bands would visit there. The filipino jazz scene (research filipino jazz #note2self) apparently had origins stemming from the US occupation of the Philippines. During WWII, the Japanese elite viewed Jazz as a threat (they called it “enemy music”) and even went so far as to pass ordinances banning it and shutting down jazz clubs throughout the country. Fortunately for us, the genre became way too popular and here we are, 80+ years later, chopping up a beautiful sample by Ryo Fukui’s 1976 album, Scenery.

I didn’t have much time to work on my beat, but managed to throw something together at the last second. Shout out to all the recent followers of the beatsessions. We’ve been getting mad love from @PtheWyse (virginia), @hijrah80 (maryland), and @leo_V_ (france) on twitter. Also, stay tuned for a few more additions to the roster in the coming weeks. Anyways, happy belated thanksgiving from myself and the rest of generation ill (@bsoco, @markxpmbeatz, @eladbrit, and @sideways_one). Thanks for continuing to listen each week. peace, illa.

Early Summer by Ryo Fukui

Uchuusen Ongaku by 25/8 (Miami, FL)

Don’t Worry – Soon Come by Blackph03nix (London, England)

Thanks by Sideways (Orlando, FL)

Pagdiriwang – soulfiesta.blogspot.com by Chrizo (Las Piñas, Philippines)

Beyond Words: Grind, Gnarl, and Grand by illa (Miami, FL)

Gamble by PMBeatz (Washington, DC)

Linus Wisdom Interlude by Gee (Toronto, Canada)

Illusion by DJ Robzilla (Gainesville, FL)

[do you know another song which uses this sample? if so, let us know.]

10 Responses to BeatSession11|29|10

1. CHRiZO says:

I’m not quite sure but if I had to guess, the sample used on CL Smooth’s “The Piano” produced by DJ VEE sounds very similar to this one. PEACE, everyone. You guys did great this week.

2. C. Bran says:

Gee, I like what you did. Partially because I’m probably the world’s largest Charlie Brown Fan!!!!

• Gee says:

Haha thanks man! I’m a Charlie Brown fan too…felt like this sample fit in perfectly with the beat, so I used it. Glad to know that I did some justice to that scene lol.

3. PMBeatz says:

Wow…. I know I hear this a lot, but seriously everyone came HARD on this sample… I can’t pick a favorite this time… lol… seriously

4. Mal says:

Hi, great page i like the way of does session. On the next week i buy mpd 24 so i go in this. If you have time check out my page: http://www.wpzr.wordpress.com some good graffiti.

5. 1stup says:

i ddnt make it for this week but im going to listen to every ones as lways .. and as always already am expecting greatness ….ijust opend up the sample for next week going to chop today ….

Can I just say that it is great to feel a part of something that has purpose where people love what they do – this kind of genuine activity is very rare (and this is coming from and artist).

Peace

7. CHRiZO says:

Word up to what BlackPho3nix said.

8. Divine says:

This been out a while, but it’s too beautiful not to say something. illa, I think I almost died on your flip.