BeatSession12|06|10

“If God would have picked a sample, he would have picked this one.” -Vince Ticsay

Vince (@tictacthoughts) is one of the new additions to the roster. I stumbled upon his uStream last week and when he said the quote mentioned above, I couldn’t help but think of this. But at the end of God’s outstretched hand, he’d have this Bert Kaempfert record. Bert Kaempfert was a very accomplished orchestra leader and songwriter from Germany. Many of his pieces later became hit songs by other artists such as Nat King Cole, Elvis Presley, and Frank Sinatra. His music has been sampled by Jimi Hendrix, Barenaked Ladies, and now US.

FYI – If you ever find yourself in Miami during December, make sure to check out Art Basel. It was held this past weekend and it was DOPE! Its inspiring to see all those artists doing their thing. And there were a lot of music events going on. Also, had a chance to check our boy Evan Poirier who did three walls during the weekend (www.evanpoirier.com). I managed to throw something together earlier today after work… didn’t really get a chance to make a real “verse”… but I didn’t want to pass up on this sample. Anyways, I expect a couple more late submissions, so be sure to check back. peace, illa

The World We Knew (Over and Over) by Bert Kaempfert

THE I(I)D(D)L(O)E(L) LOVE FOR REVOLUTIONARY LIES by Blackph03nix (London, England)

Anti-Hero’s Bossa Nova by Gee (Toronto, Canada)

Better by SDM/BoxoutBeat (Makati City, Philippines)

Far Out by Hirahmentals (Baltimore, MD)

Contemplation & The Glitch by 25/8 (Miami, FL)

October 13, 2009 by Sideways (Orlando, FL)

The Walking Dead by The Lone Stranger (Portland, OR)

Lets See by C. Bran (Charlotte, NC)

Gotcha by DJ Robzilla (Gainesville, FL)

I Wanna Rock Wit U by 1st Up (Greensboro, NC)

Fresh Basel by illa (Miami, FL)

Make Em Bounce (ft. 90nine) by PMBeatz (Washington, DC)

OZAETA by Chrizo (Las Piñas, Philippines)

The Evil Faced Genius by Freshvilla (Orlando, FL)

19 Responses to BeatSession12|06|10

1. C. Bran says:

I will be the first to say, I struggled with this joint and I actually scrapped the other 2 I was working on.

• 25/8 says:

i feel ur pain c.bran! i had the perfect beat in my head and just couldnt get it out to save my life! i had 4 different beats going but scraped everything and submitted wat i submitted! lol!

2. 1stup says:

damn bouxobeat …and sideways went hard ……………….wwwwwoooooowwww illa ..went absolutely bannanas on this one …thank you ……

3. Hijrah says:

I definitely liked this sample and had fun messing around w/ the vocals and instruments. I also hear a lot of dope beats! Good work.

Peace.

4. DJ Robzilla says:

Yea this was a tough one for me too, but illa destroyed the sample! Had my head bobbin as I lay sick in bed haha.

5. @1stup and @DJRobzilla thanks y’all.

@hijrah welcome to WBS… definitely nice to have a female presence among the roster. and dope submission!

I’m feeling Gee’s submission this week… kinda reminds of flying lotus.

loved this week… lots of variety. peace, illa

6. Gee says:

Thanks for the love guys. And yea man…Illa never fails to impress. Dope session this week.

7. PMBeatz says:

I know this is starting to sound repetitive, BUT….. this week’s session was insanely good… just heard it… aaaaaand, wow… if i had to break down everyone’s beat and point out exactly what I thought made that person’s beat dope, I wouldn’t get sleep for work tomorrow morning… LOL… #truestory

WORD UP PM – This **** is so exciting. The fact that we are coming out with new flavours every week is great. Each sample brings a new challenge and with every session I feel like I have learned something.
    Going back to school!

Peace

Chrizo, killer stuff btw….

10. Sideways says:

I don’t know if I can speak for everyone from Gen iLL, but when the beat sessions were first invisioned, THIS is what I imagined it to grow into.

14+ producers, flipping the same sample, making original beats that showcase their unique style…all just because they love making music…

We do this for free or fee, you know?

• Cosign. This indeed was the vision. and lets keep it going. two more producers were added yesterday. Yesterday was the most visits we had in one day. We’ve gone from an average of 500 hits/month during Jan-Sep. In October, it doubled to 1000/month. In Novemeber, it doubled again to 2000/month. And we’re on pace to exceed even that this month. I think they call that exponential growth homies.

anyways, on behalf of Gen ILL, we seriously appreciate the weekly participation and everyone’s contribution to this project, which began as a simple gathering back in gainesville, FL.

peace,
      illa

11. CHRiZO says:

All I can say is that this site has done wonders for me since i hopped on board. Thank you to the growing WBS fam! Black Phoenix, thanks! ILLA, your beat was super. My boy SDM’s beat was really hitting as well. PEACE guys. Till next week!

12. freshvilla aka(tektheintern) says:

every time i blink more and more new names to the list this is crazy in a great way. i remember sideways puttin me on to this, it was like five of us back then rockin on myspace..lol. really good to see the growth in this, and once again dope week for everyone…

and to sideways you owe me some beats mister

13. tictac says:

well i just would like to reinforce my statement on the “if god picked a sample…”,
    i see a lot of you guys had some bumps from this sample,
    but you guys came through with some hard hitting joints!
    thanks for illa for giving me the pleasure of providing the sample for this week,
    unfortunately, i had a lot going on during the week that i ended up not finishing my submission. but i do however have finished my beat for next week’s session,
    and finally i’d be able to showcase what i have to offer.
    again, big shouts to all you beatmakers who murdered my sample haha

• Gee says:

Tictac..I was just looking through your blog and stumbled upon that post about the bus in Toronto…creepy shit, especially since I’m from Toronto myself lol. Where’d you find that story?

• tictac says:

oh, i just made that shit up haha
        ill be honest though, i scared the shit out of me when i took in
        that story. but yea.