BeatSession01|10|11

Giving Up by Donny Hathaway

Donny Hathaway is one of my all-time favorites. This week’s sample, Giving Up, comes from Donny Hathaway’s 1971 self-titled album and was a special request by Frances, an avid listener of WBS. Big shout out to all those that submitted sample submissions and please keep them coming!

Although there’s not enough time this week for me to do the type of write-up that Donny Hathaway deserves (no time to make a beat either), I doubt he needs any introduction. Instead, here’s a tribute video I found online.

Also, make sure you check out the FEATURED section on GENERATIONILL.COM for an interview titled, “The Low Brow Theory: An Interview with Evan Poirier”. Gen ILL member, Soco, sat down with Evan Poirier late last year and again later during Art Basel in Miami. Not only is he an amazing artist, he’s also a frequent listener of WBS. You can checkout his artwork at www.thesoutherndrawl.com. peace, illa

Class is in Session by Confidence (Boston, MA)

The Arrival of The Understated Grandeur by Norman Beats (Orlando, FL)

Toast by Sideways (Orlando, FL)

Look Deeper by Blackph03nix (London, England)

Giving Up? By DJ Spinz (Makati City, Philippines)

Given Up by C. Bran (Charlotte, NC)

Fate by Flava Matikz of Q-York (Q-York City, Philippines)

Up and About (Snippet) by DJ Ambush (Carolinas NC/SC)

If You Really Love Someone by SDM/Boxoutbeats (Makati City, Philippines)

Goodbye by Gee (Toronto, Canada)

Warp Speed Ahead by 25/8 (Miami, FL)

BE.ONE (01.11.11 MIX) feat. Common, Margaux, Nimbus9 by Chrizo (Las Piñas, Philippines)

Threats Are Em Ex 2 by PMBeatz (Washington, DC)

Go Hard or Go Home by TicTac Productions (Toronto, Canada)

1-1-11 by Alwyn Villaruel of FlipMusic (Manila, Philippines)

William Wallish by JedLi of People’s Future (Manila, Philippines)

Give It Up by Twitch Beats (Hollis, NY)

Giving up is Hard to do by Huey P (Miami, FL)

13 Responses to BeatSession01|10|11

1. Alwyn of FlipMusic says:

Props to the producers who submitted their entries this week! Great entries!

And Chrizo, please tell Nimbus9 on my behalf that THAT WAS A SICK VERSE, yo! Good job!

2. Gee. says:

If anyone’s wondering what other sample I used for this week, here’s the link:

Ken Slavin – Thoughts of your Smile (‘Manha de Carnaval’)

I used this week’s sample as a base, and formulated another sample on top of it.

3. DJ Spinz says:

Dope Session! Loving all the beats

This has certainly been an interesting week!

Shout out to Frances (wanted to thank you personally, but I can’t find you (?!) WHERE YOU AT!!!!???

Peace

BP

5. 1QuiXoticUmi4u says:

You guys just don’t let up OR give up do you?! 🙂 Just stayz knockin sh*t out da box, huh? Well, I love it! Because of the WBS I’ve already broken 2 of my resolutions. Cut back on coffee & sleep earlier. *LOUD SIGH* Flip side, I actually look forward to Mondays (yaay!). WBS & Generation iLLa…ahem..iLL roxx my soxx! I reckon I gotta learn how to tweet / twit / twerp now don’t I? (that word gives me the giggles). Let’s support one another through music in honor of our fallen heroes. Music is what feelings sound like. GiveLoveGetLove cuz God is good EVERYDAY. Soul therapy.

Mad props to ALL musicians WORLDWIDE who live, create, teach and innovate. For MUSIC makes me “Happy. It gives me something to love. Something to do. Something to hope for.” Long live real hip hop. Let’s all remember to take life 1ne beat at a time. Unconscious therapy (no copay required haha!).

@BP, yo u da man. nuff said, (in my best Ali G voice haha) respect And PLS, don’t gamble on the locks again 🙂

@iLLa we both gotta lay off the coffee. btw, Dunkin Donuts or 7-11 all the way. Boo starbucks oh yeah im beefin lolol

@all the particpants, keep dem beats rollin in (haha, no pun) every week. I WANT MORE!! GIVE ME MORE!! muwahahaha #comments.to.come

@GenerationILL, yall play too d*mn much. lls

@eLadBrit, yo where u @?! tracks Go & Flying High are fiyaa

@LISTENERSnSUPPORTERS, check out the archives too! And where the diva b-girls at? Ladies, I need back up…stat!!! I can’t be the only1 reppin dolo now.

Me.C, –> Me.Free: Hey Frances, what if today was the 1st day of 2k11? What would you do different?

Me.Free–> Me.C: Oh you and your “what ifs”.

Me.Self –> SELF: But, “Dreams are like stars…you may never touch them, but if you follow them they will lead you to your destiny.” – unknown. Let’s do it for the chillrren (lol). cheers to DREAMING BIG!

RIP sir Donny & Lady T and the dearly departed.

Boom…think about it…and…Bap. M out peace yall…till the next episode. Ok time to get the little one to school. peace to the world.

peace out, me.

1.1.11 2k11 soul system rebooting…

PS 1ne more thing: When is EVERYBODY coming to DC, sheesh?! I mean can WE get some party love?! PMBeatz, happy belated bruh! Party’s not over till end of the month. Cheers!

6. Confidence says:

feeling some of these joints, flava, pmbeats, gee and be one had some flava…keep up the good work…peace

7. Sideways says:

Ambush, loved your ‘ish this week!

I hear a joint with – Masta Killa ft Meth, Havoc, Beretta 9, Inspectah Deck…

8. SDM/Boxoutbeats says:

All of em are Dope Beats! Heavy Shit this Week! PEACE!

9. SDM/Boxoutbeats says:

DOPE BEATS!!! PEACE!

10. PMBeatz says:

Got a chance to listen to the beats this morning. I’ve already commented on twitter about this. But, WOW. Like Chrizo said, I always look forward to Tuesday midnight. For me, it’s about learning and understanding how/why people chopped the sample the way they did and being inspired. And seeing producers grow. Taking 25/8 as an example. Through WBS, I’ve seen for myself how this guy’s sound transformed. And it’s really amazing. I hope everyone sticks around long enough to see what I’m seeing also. And hopefully be inspired themselves. Shoutout to the newcomers on WBS. I look forward to next week, next month, next year. Peeeeeeace.

11. CHRiZO says:

YEEEEEEEAAAAH what PMBEATZ said! PEACE y’all.

12. livewire06 says:

MAN I MISS THIS i havent been able to chop since my last entry …….i have been listening …and u guys havent missed a step … i have got to recycle working again .. it will not load up on my new pc … but also see a lot more poeple are on .. keep up the great work

13. tictac says:

yo this guy sampled the same sample for this session lol

dope though