BeatSession 06|13|11

Can’t See You When I Want To by David Porter

During the 1960s, David Porter was best known as the production/songwriter partner of the great Isaac Hayes on Stax Records. This week’s sample is taken from his first album, Gritty, Groovy, and Gettin’ It, which was released in 1970. You’ll notice that there are quite a few throwback submissions this week. I’d like to say it was on purpose, but it wasn’t. Turns out that this week’s sample was also chopped up back in Dec ’09 in one of the last beat sessions that were hosted on myspace. It’s all good though — it’s always good to hear some of those sessions which were never archived.

By the way, if you have happen to be in NYC this Friday, be sure to stop by Hydroponikz‘ Album Release Party @ 92YTribeca. Details/Tickets can be found here. Support
good music and cop the album which features production by our very own, PMBeatz. The album can be purchased on cdbaby and itunes.

peace, @illa0804/@generationill

Forever by Freshvilla (Orlando, FL) *Throwback session from 12/14/09

Interloop 2.0 by thadizzie1 (San Francisco, CA)

The Only Way is Up feat. Aero by Chrizo (Las Piñas, Philippines)

Ocular Spectacular by illa (Miami, FL)

Soul-n-Pepper by Francis Peralta (Toronto, Canada)

Challenge by J.Mckinney (Orlando, FL) *Throwback session from 12/14/09

Show Up Sometime by Sideways (Portland, OR)

So Much to Lose by Gee (Toronto, Canada)

Right Now by NeV (Augusta, GA)

Goodnight by Blackph03nix (London, England)

Amok by Dingo (Detroit, MI)

Dude, I’m Cool by Bruce Juice (Orlando, FL)

Untitled (Unfinished) by Wellaware (Sheffield, England)

My Friend June by 25/8 (Miami, FL)

Untitled by PMBeatz (Washington DC) *Throwback session from 12/14/09

Last Night by Sideways (Portland, OR) *Throwback session from 12/14/09

Choppy Weather by illa (Miami, FL) *Throwback session from 12/14/09

10 Responses to BeatSession 06|13|11

1. JT says:

Soul-n-Pepper by Francis Peralta (Toronto, Canada)
    Ocular Spectacular by illa (Miami, FL)
    Right Now by NeV (Augusta, GA)…..bonkers by the way!!

Amok by Dingo (Detroit, MI)

another sick session….the beats i listed are crazy!!! nice to see Canada in here….i respect the craft of the “beatsmith”…all of you do the do!!!!

2. bruce juice says:

Goodnight by Blackph03nix

Your sound just transported me to some of the rawest warehouse club nights in London Bruce Juice – thank you.

I admire that chaotic style in track. Reminds me of the first time I listened to Burial. Rawness.

Long live WBS

4. Dingo says:

Woahhh, too many people for the full individual head-nods haha. Didn’t realize how loud mine was. I will leave this with a “Nice Session, everybody”! psst *Sideways’ new one and Wellaware’s had my head bangin’. Bruce’s was dope as hell and truly original, but it seemed like there was a lot going on at once because of the mixing.

5. Sideways says:

Black, not only was really feeling your beat, anyone who samples The Wire is alright in my book! Felt like a heartfelt outro

6. bruce juice says:

lol. Thanks. Blackpho3nix.

@Dingo. I made the mistake of throwing a reverb on the main mix; it really cluttered up the low end. I should of known. I was in some kind of rush last night.

7. Dingo says:

I feel you man. Shit ended up still sounding dope.

Nice one Sideways! The Wire has to be the greatest TV show of all time. I was holding onto that sample for aaaaages then this session came through….
    Feeling that groove – you got the E-MU hooked up now homie?

9. thadizzie1 says:

Great job peeps!!! I know that i said i’d bring it but…been lazy hense a lazy chop… been experimenting w 3/4 so i wanted to get in this week n get more practice…

10. Slimby says:

That Bruce Juice track is heavy. No holds barred with the echo! wow. The high alarm/cicada drone thing is really clever. More please!

Black Phoenix – The Wire! Ha! Fantastic.

Good work all. Always loving the WBS!
    Slim