BeatSession 07|11|11

Oh! Lord by Cortex

This week’s sample comes from Cortex, a jazz funk band from France. They formed in 1974 and had a very unique sound that set them apart from American jazz groups at the time. They had a strong Brazilian influence in their style and had a signature sound which frequently featured the layering of female vocals and a Fender Rhodes. This week’s sample is from their second album, called Vol. 2. Their classic release, however, was called Troupeau Bleu, which was recorded in just 2 days in 1975. This album is ridiculously amazing. In fact, this 11 track offering could literally be the sample choices for the next 11 BeatSessions. It’s that good. Expect more from this group in the coming year. Or Perhaps sooner rather than later.

Also, HUGE shout out to Soco who celebrated his birthday yesterday. Some of us headed over to Orlando for the festivities. Good times were had and Saturday night we headed over to Cleo’s Lounge in downtown Orlando. DJ BMF spun an amazing mix of old school hip hop and r&b. Check out his “Hooked On Classics” mix here.

Dope Session everyone! On to the next….

peace, @illa0804/@generationill

Aqua Pura by Gee (Toronto, Canada)

Know Your Limits by PMBeatz (Washington DC)

Easy Transition by NeV (Augusta, GA)

Bahbah Joint by Mr. Klimatic (Toledo, OH)

The Switch up by thadizzie1 (San Francisco, CA)

Skeleton by Francis Peralta (Toronto, Canada)

Funky Fresh Part II by 25/8 (Miami, FL)

Slide by Blackph03nix (London, England)

Changing Me by Jason Leary (Conway, SC)

Freedom by Sideways (Portland, OR)

Maria by Dingo (Detroit, MI)

Everyday The Same Dream
by illa (Miami, FL)

Freedom of Speech feat. CreCon by Chrizo (Las Piñas, Philippines)

22 Responses to BeatSession 07|11|11

1. Francis Peralta says:

I’m feeling everyone’s joint…my personal likes this week are Dingo’s, illa and Nev..props!…haha my beat sucks ass…didn’t get to work on it at all since i started on wednesday…wish i wasn’t so busy. But next week i’m all clear!

2. Francis Peralta says:

Chrizo just keeps bringing the heat each week

3. blankbrandon says:

Alrighty, what I liked most about all of y’alls.
    -Gee: True shit, reminded me of back and the day when I used to bang the Knuckles tracks on Sonic Adventure 2 Battle all the time, haha.
    -PM: Those samples blend seemlessly
    -Nev: Man can’t get over those Pete Rock – esque drums. Murdered the bass too.
    -Klimatic: Sick drums, that breakdown at 12 sec was perfect
    -Dizzie1: Nice taking a different approach than everyone. Sick drums
    -Peralta: Killed those claps, G!
    -25/8: Nice ping pong delay, dude, came at all sides haha.
    -Blackphoenix: Very interesting blending the snare in the back like that, and that talking sample. Liked it a lot, man.
    -Jason Leary: Nice Drum switch ups, dude. Loud as hell tho!
    -Illa: Loved this beat, killed the lazy style swings with the drums. Claps were on point.
    -Chrizo: Couldn’t get enough of this one, don’t even know where to start haha.

4. Sideways says:

Yo, what software/hardware does everyone use? Just curious. Maybe I’ll learn of something new, lol.

Does anyone use that Roland MPC ripoff that Rza uses? That looks badass and was wondering about it.

5. @ Sideways I use FL n my controller is the Arturia the factory!!!

I take it ur talking bout Mashine!! I seen demos with that… Its dope!!!

6. blankbrandon says:

Oh shit Sideways, I missed yours. Bomb chops, homie. And I love how the drums switched up and the extra sample drop in the background. Great beat, period. And I use Fl Studio and my mouse, I’m looking into investing in some hardware when I get the cash.

• Sideways says:

You’re Dingo, right (just a guess)? Yo, screw hardware, you don’t need that if you already know how to make beats!

• Word at that Sideways!! An MPC is a basically a PC with random buttons. For me, I need keys. i like to play w chops on the fly. Haven’t been doing that for awhile now but i actully just copped the keyboard Monday so get back to it!!!

7. NeV says:

Dope session as usual guys but we all know that this weeklybeatsession is the beast idea ever. and my personal favorites are Dingo- that track had a M-Phazes and Flying Lotus fusions going on. Mr. Kilmatic- Your track had that feel good to it TRUE ESSENCE. Illa & PMBeatz- I’m jealous of both of yall LOL Dopeness as usual. Jason- Your style has paved it’s way that track was blazing and Gee- OMG if you ever make a track out of that I will pay you to have a copy SUPREME, but everyone’s track was heat as usual. And @sideways I use Native instruments Maschine and Sonar XL Studio

8. NeV says:

@Dingo I used the drums from “Spinning Wheel” by Lonnie Smith……you know, from the beat session 6/27/11 LOL I had drums on it already but wasn’t really feeling it so I thought about using those drums and finally did it and dude your chops are mean I see you doing you’re thing

9. Dope session everyone!

@Sideways I have an MPD 32 that I use with Logic Pro. But when I’m away from my pads, I use an old ass version of FL Studio (version 5 i think lol)… This week’s beat was made w/ FL Studio and my mouse lol. Also, I have two midi keyboards. my setup is pretty low budget. I’ve been thinking of checking out Ableton, which PMBeatz uses. Also plan on copping a microkorg.

peace,
    illa

10. Gee. says:

@Sideways

Virtual DJ (playing around with chops & tempo)
    Audacity (editing tempo & pitch)
    Recycle 2.1 (chopping the sample)
    Reason 5 (Main beat making program)

I use an Akai MPD26 Midi Controller & an Akai Synthstation 25 Midi Keyboard.

PS. Thanks for all the positive comments!

11. Sideways says:

Damn, that’s cool everyone uses different stuff! If anyone got any good plugins and effects that Logic can read, let me know! Really been wanting something that reverses or varies on speed (like a vinyl ‘stop’) (I use an mpc2500 and Logic. Sometimes I add stuff with a Microkorg)

12. wow… all this chatter about equipment/software would have been a great thread on the (not so) new WBS Community Forum located at the top right corner of everybody’s screen. in the subject “The Setup”. #justsaying

honestly, i’m not so sure if it works yet. lol but seriously — sideways, you should repost the question on there. i think we could all learn some stuff from each other (and so i can stop guessing how y’all do the things you do). i saw chrizo tweet about basslines… sideways, asked about logic plugins. maybe pmbeatz can share some tricks about his amazing mixdowns.

-illa

13. Great session btw… Dope submissions!!!

14. man this session was so impressive from all participants! def 1 of my top 5 favorite all-around sessions! honorable mentions that really caught my ear this week: Gee-love that smooth sound! Mr. Klimatic-just the right amount of choppy-ness! & Sideways-u always seem to catch me off guard! lol! AGAIN, GREAT SESSION!

I know a guy who has the MV8800….its a rich boy’s MPC, I would add that extra money to purchasing a DSI synth or something substantial.

I use an MPC1000, KP3, Kaossilator (which I will soon be rid of), DSI MoPho, a fretless and normal bass guitars (and some other toys here and there) and I record into Logic via an Edirol M-16DX.

The MPC wil always be at my side, but I certainly want to learn more about the possibilities of software use as I don’t wanna be ignorant of the potentials that both hardware and software each have. Heck, I’ll probably even experiment with other samplers in future too (stay away from the MV Sideways, you really don’t need it!!)

ThaDizzie1 would kill it with a track like that down in Londres BTW!!

peACE!

16. Francis Peralta says:

nice to see the WBS Forum now up and running..looking forward to some great discussions