The Original Sample:
In 1968, polish composer/jazz pianist, Krzysztof Komeda, was tasked with writing the musical score to Roman Polanski’s American horror film, Rosemary’s Baby. While there have been other lullabies for horror films (e.g. Poltergeist), none is more haunting than the one used in Rosemary’s Baby. It becomes more haunting when you realize who the lullaby is being sung to. Rosemary’s Baby is ranked 9th by the American Film Institute for Horror Film Thrillers and the scene where Rosemary is raped by Satan is #23 on Bravo’s 100 Scariest Movie Moments. And if that wasn’t enough, it becomes even more haunting when you find out that Krzysztof Komeda died a mysterious death just months after writing the score. Here’s the trailer from 1968:
On a hallowoeen-related note, haunted houses are fun and all… that is unless it is an ACTUAL haunted house. In my life, I’ve lived in two haunted houses/buildings: Beaty Towers East and 835 SE 4th Ave (both located in Gainesville, FL).
Beaty Towers East – They say that 85% of buildings in the United States do not have a 13th Floor. Beaty Towers East was part of the other 15% that do. It was my first residence during my freshmen year of college at the University of Florida. I should have known it was going to be haunted. Maybe it was the fact that I moved in on August 13th several days before the Fall semester. Or maybe it was the building’s location on 13th street? Or maybe it was fact that I lived on the 13th floor. Nah, I’m pretty sure it was the fact that Tom Petty (resident of Gainesville, FL) wrote the famous song American Girl about the girl who was heart-broken by a bad breakup and committed suicide off the 13th of floor of Beaty Towers East during finals week (note: 441 = 13th Street). Yup… pretty sure that was it. During finals week, if you study by the window, there’s a moment when you catch eyes with her as she’s falling.
835 SE 4th Ave – During grad school, my friend and I thought it was an awesome idea to move into the creepy old house that was built in 1929. 2,184 sq ft on a half acre lot seemed like plenty of room for house parties, b-boy cyphers, and our bootleg studio. Random bumps in the night, poltergeists, and other paranormal activities were a norm. People were scared to visit our place. I don’t blame them. Never mind the prostitutes and drug dealers that roamed just feet from the front porch. That was secondary to the fear they had after I gave them a tour of our very own haunted house. At night you’d hear noises from the old wooden shed that no one’s ever been in. On a still night, you’d hear faint laughter of kids as they swung on the rusty swings. The house would creak and you’d hear footsteps in the attic. The lights would pulsate. The house had numerous bookshelves that were too narrow to hold books. Turns out they were passageways to other parts of the house. Don’t believe me? Ask Soco… ask him about the poltergeist incident. Or ask PMBeatz, Sideways, or Eladbrit who frequented the house. Or ask the 200+ people who saw the kid in the upstairs attic window during a house party in 2008. There’s a really creepy back story to this house, but this post is getting way too long. (and having Rosemary’s Baby on repeat while writing this is creeping me out). Ask me in person.
Featured Beats and Producers:
OCTO JOINT by Mr. Klimatic (Toledo, OH)
Far Horizons by thadizzie1 (San Francisco, CA)
Beyond Your Nightmares by NeV (Augusta, GA)
Street Desires (feat. Uko Abara on piano) by Mr. Kwazi (Ontario, Canada)
Hollowed by Agent Smith 78 (Chicago, IL)
Whitby Psych by Hi-Rock (Toronto, Canada)
10-31-11 by SPNZ (Makati City, Philippines)
Speak2daBeat (Snippet) by Ambush (Charlotte, NC)
Duelo by D (Lipa, Batangas)
Made on The iPhone in Montana by Sideways (Bozeman, MT)
That Feeling of Being Watched by Chrizo (Las Piñas, Philippines)
N0 1 2 H34R U by Blackph03nix (London, England)
Hellaweed by LazaMusic (Holland)